It’s a hot & hazy summer day. You’re moving equipment from one field to another. You’re cruising down the Dirt Road, not a care in the world.
Then you look up.
Through the heat waves and the sweat running in your eyes, you see a glint of steel on the road ahead. The Bridge.
Oh ya,… you almost forgot. Time to go swimming.
Here’s the deal. A lot of the bridges on Dirt Roads weren’t built to accomodate heavy farm equipment.
Look again. Unless you have depth perception like mine, it’s pretty easy to tell the air seeder is wider than the bridge.
Even when the seeder is ‘winged up’, with the outermost sections raised in the air for transport, it still won’t fit.
So what’s a farmer to do?
When you can’t go over, go through.
I think there’s a life lesson in there somewhere.
30 Days of Dirt Roads continues tomorrow with a specific kind of Dirt Road. Bin sites.
We’ll see you soon on the Farm (& on a Dirt Road!) -Shauna
Remember to take a peek at these other awesome ag blogs … going on throughout the month of November. Start with 30 Days: Agriculturists Who Influence & work your way through the rest!
- The Pinke Post: 30 Days of Women in Agriculture
- Standing out in the Field: 30 Days of Faces Behind Your Food
- Prairie Californian: 30 Days of Food
- Becoming Texan: 30 Days of Texas Panhandle Agriculture
- AgTechTalk: 30 Days of Ag Tech
- Sowing Bountifully: 30 Days with a Small Town Girl on a Big 10 Campus
- Mackinson Dairy Farm: 30 Days of Dairy
- Cows, Corn and Communications: 30 Days of Dairy Farm Life Blessings
- Morning Joy Farm: 30 Days of Agriculture – The Agriculture Book List
- Holbrook Honey and Hop Yard: 30 Days of Preparation for the Future
- Minnesota Farm Living: 30 Days of All Things Minnesota Agriculture
- Beyond the Pasture: 30 Days of Lessons I Learned on the Farm
- Kellie for Ag: 30 Songs about Raising Cattle
- Homestead Hill Farm: 30 Days of Lessons from the Farm
- Montana Stockgrowers Association Blog: 10 Things to Know About Beef Cattle
- Country Girl Creations: 30 Things I Want My Farm Girl to Know
- Life of a Future Farmer: 30 Days of Thoughts of a Future Farmer
- Black Ink Blog: Nice to Meat Ya: 30 Days of People You Ought to Know in the Quality Beef Business
- Farver Farms: 30 Days of Dirt Roads
- Carolyn CAREs Blog: 30 Things I Love
- Confessions of a Suburbanite Agvocate: 30 Days in the Life of an Ag Comm Student
- The Velvet Farmer: 30 Days from the View of a Agriculture Student
- Agriculture: A Way of Life: Series Name
- Cox Farm: 30 Things That Farming Has Taught Me
- Walking the Off-Beaten Path: 30 Days of Farming: It’s a Balancing Act
- The Magic Farmhouse: 30 Days of Illinois Farms and Food
- The Farmer’s Wifee: 30 Days of Farm Thanks
- Pannill’s Gate Farm: 30 Shades of Grey
- AgChat: 30 Days of Advocacy and Social Media