You absolutely can’t talk about farming & Dirt Roads, without talking about the Elevator.
Go to the edge of town Dirt Road in any small town anywhere in rural America, and you’ll find one. And it’s far more than just a place to market grain.
It’s a place for producers to gather, share stories and compare notes. It serves as a communications hub and a therapists office. And I’m pretty sure you have to take a course in ‘how to make the best coffee ever’ before you can work at an Elevator.
The Farmer would take them for a ride-along, and after about two trips, they would get bored. It wasn’t until years later that I’d hear about the ‘apples with salt’ they shared with the Secretary there. Or the clandestine cans of Mountain Dew the Manager would sneak to them.
In fact, one of the first stops we made when we brought our son home from the hospital, was the Elevator. I remember the place emptying out– all occupants coming to peek through the window of the pickup at our new little bundle.
That’s pretty profound when you think about it in terms of food production.
Over 50 million tons of wheat alone are produced every year in the US.
That wheat is made into the loaves of bread, boxes of cereal, Thanksgiving dinner rolls, & scores of other products that grace our tables each and every day.
And almost of of them have two things in common. Which, if you think about it, connects all of us back to each other in the simplest, most basic way.
An Elevator. And a little Dirt Road.
Thanks for joining us for another installment of the 30 Days of Dirt Roads series! Don’t forget to take a look at some of these other outstanding 30 Days of blogging Ag series going on for the rest of the month. And we’ll see you soon on The Farm (and a Dirt Road!) -Shauna
- The Pinke Post: 30 Days of Women in Agriculture
- Standing out in the Field: 30 Days of Faces Behind Your Food
- Prairie Californian: 30 Days of Food
- Becoming Texan: 30 Days of Texas Panhandle Agriculture
- AgTechTalk: 30 Days of Ag Tech
- Sowing Bountifully: 30 Days with a Small Town Girl on a Big 10 Campus
- Mackinson Dairy Farm: 30 Days of Dairy
- Cows, Corn and Communications: 30 Days of Dairy Farm Life Blessings
- Morning Joy Farm: 30 Days of Agriculture – The Agriculture Book List
- Holbrook Honey and Hop Yard: 30 Days of Preparation for the Future
- Minnesota Farm Living: 30 Days of All Things Minnesota Agriculture
- Beyond the Pasture: 30 Days of Lessons I Learned on the Farm
- Kellie for Ag: 30 Songs about Raising Cattle
- Homestead Hill Farm: 30 Days of Lessons from the Farm
- Montana Stockgrowers Association Blog: 10 Things to Know About Beef Cattle
- Country Girl Creations: 30 Things I Want My Farm Girl to Know
- Life of a Future Farmer: 30 Days of Thoughts of a Future Farmer
- Black Ink Blog: Nice to Meat Ya: 30 Days of People You Ought to Know in the Quality Beef Business
- Carolyn CAREs Blog: 30 Things I Love
- Confessions of a Suburbanite Agvocate: 30 Days in the Life of an Ag Comm Student
- The Velvet Farmer: 30 Days from the View of a Agriculture Student
- Agriculture: A Way of Life: Series Name
- Cox Farm: 30 Things That Farming Has Taught Me
- Walking the Off-Beaten Path: 30 Days of Farming: It’s a Balancing Act
- The Magic Farmhouse: 30 Days of Illinois Farms and Food
- The Farmer’s Wifee: 30 Days of Farm Thanks
- Pannill’s Gate Farm: 30 Shades of Grey
- AgChat: 30 Days of Advocacy and Social Media